If you do not see answers to your questions below, please review the Candidate Certification Handbook and the pages on the Certification section of the DAA web site. If you are unable to find an answer to your question after reviewing this material, please email the Certification Administrator.
- What are the eligibility requirements for the certification?
- Where can I take the exam?
- There isn’t a DAA computerized testing location in my country. Are there any other options for taking the test?
- How many questions are on the exam and what is the format?
- How long is the exam?
- Can I provide my opinion regarding an exam question?
- Will comments from candidates result in change to an exam question?
- Will the web analytics exam be maintained over time in order to keep up with changing analytics practices?
- Can I take the exam as a walk-in?
- Is there a study guide for the exam?
- Do I need to take any courses in order to take the exam?
- How should I prepare for the exam?
- Are practice questions available?
- What is the passing grade for the exam?
- When will I find out if I passed? Can I find out over the phone?
- After I pass the certification exam, when will I become certified?
- What do I do if my name or address has changed?
- Where did the idea for Certification come from?
- Why does DAA certification lack tool focus?
- Can I pass the certification exam without tool knowledge?
- Should marketing people apply for the certification? eCommerce managers? Usability people? Media buyers? Et cetera?
How will the change in brand from WAA to DAA affect certification?
The only noticeable change will be the brand on the CWA certificate and pin. The Certified Web Analyst™ Examination will continue and a passing score will result in Web Analyst Certification™. The existing WAA certificates will remain effective until the candidate completes certification maintenance; at that time the candidate will be sent a DAA branded Web Analyst Certificate™.
What are the eligibility requirements for the certification?
In order to become a Certified Web Analyst™, web analysts must meet DAA’s examination, education and experience requirements. Individuals can meet the eligibility requirements by fulfilling either of the following two options:
- High-school diploma (or global equivalent) and five years of online business experience, with at least three of those years focused on web analytics experience within the range of topics described in the Knowledge Required for Certification document.
- Four year degree (bachelor’s or global equivalent) and three years of web analytics experience within the range of topics described in the Knowledge Required for Certification document.
Please refer to the Candidate Certification Handbook for substitutions that are allowed for individuals that do not meet the above requirements.
Where can I take the exam?
DAA certification exams are administered during an eMetrics Summit, the Official Conference of the DAA and at other special exam sessions arranged by DAA. Computerized testing locations are available around the globe. Listings of scheduled exam sessions and computerized testing locations are posted on the Apply for Certification page. Individuals do not have to register for eMetrics in order to take the DAA Certification Exam.
There isn’t a DAA computerized testing location in my area. Are there any other options for taking the test?
If there isn’t an international testing center in your area, please contact the Certification Administrator for more information on possible testing options.
DAA is interested in finding out where there is demand for testing, and will attempt to make testing available in requested locations. Send an email to the Certification Administrator.
How many questions are on the exam? What is the format?
There are 60 questions on the exam. Additional information about the exam format is available on the certification resources page.
How long is the exam?
The exam is two hours long. More details about the exam format is available on the certification resources page.
Can I provide my opinion regarding an exam question?
Yes, an option to provide feedback per question is offered for both paper and computer based testing.
- While testing on paper, comments may be written beside the response to any question on the paper exam answer sheet.
- A candidate that will test by computer is provided a diagram of the testing screen in the DAA Exam Confirmation Notice. The diagram shows the “button” to use per question in order to open the area where a candidate may provide feedback.
Will comments from candidates result in change to an exam question?
All comments will be considered during the exam review process.
Will the web analytics exam be maintained over time in order to keep up with changing analytics practices?
Yes the exam will change over time, though any change is carefully monitored through psychometric procedures in order to maintain a consistently fair examination.
Can I take the exam as a walk-in?
No. Your application must be approved prior to taking the exam. You will receive an exam registration notice from DAA when your application has been approved. You will not be able to take the exam without this notice.
Is there a study guide for the exam?
There isn’t a study guide for the exam. Sample questions and case studies are available for download on the certification resources page.
Do I need to take any courses in order to take the exam?
No. The certification examination is administered independently of any training. Taking a course is optional.
How should I prepare for the exam?
Are practice questions available?
Yes. You can also review sample questions that are similar to the type of questions covered on the exam. While these questions aren’t duplicated on any exam, sample questions allow you to familiarize yourself with the exam format.
What is the exam passing grade?
Candidates who attain a score of 60% will pass the exam.
When will I find out if I passed? Can I find out over the phone?
Candidates will be notified by email within three weeks after the exam. Examination results will not be discussed over phone.
After I pass the certification exam, when will I become certified?
Your DAA Web Analyst Certification is effective on the date you pass the examination. You will receive your certificate within 30 days of taking the exam.
What do I do if my name or address has changed?
Please email the Certification Administrator to report any changes. It is critical that DAA has your current contact information in order to ensure you receive certification notices.
Where did the idea for Certification come from?
The DAA is a member-driven organization; we listen to the membership and try to accomplish what they would like us to accomplish. We heard from hiring folks and managers that “web analysts today know a lot of the buzz words and can follow instructions as far as reporting goes, but what we’d be willing to pay a premium for is web analysts who discover things on their own, who add value in areas we don’t already know about.”
So that’s where DAA Certification came from. It addresses a specific need identified by members, what came to be known internally as the “Book Smart versus Sherlock Holmes” problem. Sure, you can read a ton of books or blogs and be a good web analyst by following best practices. But so can a lot of other people. What you need to pass the Certification Test is different; you have to be able to turn data into insight and recommend a best action given the scenario presented.
Why does DAA certification lack tool focus?
Because the tool vendors own that focus, and by definition they have the resources to be much better at tool education / certification than the DAA, so why would be want to compete with the tool vendors?
Better to add value on the business side, where there is demand we can fill and a lack of trusted resources. And if you think about it, this approach simply expands the overall WA opportunity. People who want to become experts on the tool side have a path through the vendors and people who want to become experts on the analysis / business side also have a path through the DAA.
Can I pass the certification exam without tool knowledge?
No; you need to be able to communicate effectively with tool experts to pass the test. That means you will need to know the basics of how the web works, how the tools accomplish their mission, and what all the web analytics terms mean. Example: To pass the certification exam, you don’t need to know how to write a tag, but you do need to know when a custom tag is required and how to communicate your need effectively.
Should marketing people apply for the certification? eCommerce managers? Usability people? Media buyers? Et cetera?
Absolutely, if they are good at transforming the data generated by web analytics tools into business insight AND have broad knowledge across the entire scope of web analytics.