Candidates should possess a Ph.D. degree in a discipline directly related to data analytics (e.g., data management/modeling, predictive analytics, data science, statistics, information science, information systems) from an AACSB accredited university. While ABD’s close to completion will be considered, preference will be given to candidates who have completed all requirements for the Ph.D., have an established record of quality teaching and research, and have teaching experience using the latest instructional technology. Individuals with one or more post-baccalaureate degrees and significant experience leading and managing analytics organizations at the executive level will also be considered.
Candidates must also:
- Demonstrate experience and expertise in the application of data analytics to contemporary business problems
- Show engagement with the business analytics community
- Articulate how digital innovation and data analysis can provide insights and inform solutions in one or more application fields (e.g., health care, energy, fraud detection, retailing, and insurance).
- Have outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strictly adhere to ethical business standards
- Possess a student-focused orientation and spirit of collegiality that is necessary for success in an academic work environment
In addition, the following skillset is highly desirable:
- A professional and academic specialty in one or more of the following: data mining, business intelligence, decision support systems, cloud computing, data visualization / graphics, multivariate and/or Bayesian statistics, computer simulation and modeling, and Big Data analytics
- Demonstrated ability to employ one or more data analytics tools to solve business and industry problems
- Experience in collecting, organizing, managing and extracting useful decision making information from massive complex databases
- Competency in one or more scripting languages or programming frameworks (e.g., R, SAS, SQL, Python, Hadoop, Java, MatLab, Julia) used in data analytics
- Experience with corporate data management platforms (SAP, Oracle, etc.) and analytics tools (Spotfire, Tableau, Pentaho, etc.)
Consistent with the expectations of a fully-accredited, nationally-ranked College of Business, the successful applicant will be expected to pursue an active program of research and outreach in her/his area of specialization leading to publications and industry recognition, and to engage in service activities for the University, profession, and community. Excellent opportunities exist to collaborate with existing analytics faculty within the Collins College of Business and across the University of Tulsa, and with individuals connected to the numerous local and state businesses and organizations engaged in analytics activities.
The College, University, and Local Community
The Collins College of Business is accredited by AACSB International, which maintains the highest standards for business schools in the world, and has been named one of the top undergraduate business schools by Bloomberg Businessweek and Princeton Review. Home to approximately 750 undergraduate business students and 250 graduate business students, the College has four academic units and approximately 45 business faculty positions. Degree offerings include the BS in Business Administration (BSBA), with specializations in a number of business disciplines including energy management, BS in International Business & Language (BSIBL), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Accounting (MAcc), Master of Science in Global Energy (MSGE), online Master of Energy Business (MEB), and Master of Science in Finance (MSF), and Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA).
An R2 doctoral-granting university, the University of Tulsa is the oldest private educational institution in Oklahoma, with an endowment of approximately $1 billion. Total enrollment is approximately 4,600 students, distributed among five colleges: Collins College of Business, College of engineering & Natural Sciences, Henry Kendall College of Arts and Sciences, Oxley College of Health Science and the College of Law. U.S. News & World Report ranks The University of Tulsa 83rd among national doctoral universities out of nearly 1,400 colleges and universities. Seventy-four percent of TU’s freshman class graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school class, and the mean ACT score of incoming freshman in fall 2016 was 30. Additional information about TU and the Collins College of Business may be found at https://utulsa.edu/business.
Tulsa has a population of just over 930,000 across its combined metropolitan statistical area and a cost-of-living index of 85%, making it one of the most affordable and livable cities in the United States. Located in the rolling Osage Hills of northeastern Oklahoma, the City has a cosmopolitan atmosphere with numerous cultural opportunities including two major art museums, professional resident opera, ballet, symphony, and theater companies, and exceptional medical, recreational, and business facilities. In addition, the City boasts a strong emphasis on quality of life. Tulsa International Airport is serviced by most major airlines, including American, Delta, United, and Southwest Airlines.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The University of Tulsa is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
Candidates should submit an application package that contains (1) a letter of interest that includes a statement of teaching philosophy and practice, a brief explanation of prior and proposed research objectives, and a description of the ways in which the candidate’s background aligns with, complements, or expands on the existing goals and objectives of the School, (2) copies of applicable student / course evaluations, (3) current resume or curriculum vita, and (4) the names and contact information for three references. Application materials should be sent to:
Professor Tim Coburn, Search Chair
Business Analytics Faculty Search Committee
201 Helmerich Hall
The University of Tulsa
800 S Tucker Dr
Tulsa, OK 74104